Nyemudzai Kakore Herald Correspondent
CASES of typhoid are falling in Harare with only four patients suspected of having the disease admitted at Beatrice Infectious Diseases Hospitals.

According to Harare City Council Health Services director Dr Prosper Chonzi, it was still too early to celebrate.

Since December 25 last year, two people died and 200 were treated of typhoid.

Dr Chonzi said the city was offering free treatment to people suspected of having typhoid.

“So far our figures are definitely going down. As of Thursday last week, we only had four patients admitted with suspected typhoid. Deaths remain at two and we hope the situation remains like that,” he said.

“As we monitor the spread of typhoid people must continue seeking treatment early. They should visit their nearest health facilities to avoid loss of life. We are still monitoring suspected cases in Budiriro 4 and 5 and Glen View 8.”

Dr Chonzi urged communities to practice good personal hygiene like washing hands after visiting ablution facilities, buying food from licensed premises, using aqua tablets and Water Guard.

He said people should treat water regardless of the source and remove the notion that borehole water is safe.

“As the situation of typhoid seems to be improving, our major worry is the level of contamination in the community boreholes mostly in the high density areas. You have to realise that 70 to 78 percent are contaminated with coliforms, an indication of sewer contamination with underground water.”

The decrease in typhoid comes after Government set up a taskforce to deal with typhoid outbreak.

Typhoid, caused by the salmonella typhi bacteria, is a water-borne disease which spreads through contaminated water and poor sanitation facilities.

You Might Also Like

Comments