Lovemore Chikova News Editor—
POLICE investigating the Baba Jukwa case yesterday asked Information, Media and Broadcasting Services Minister Professor Jonathan Moyo to help them in their investigations by submitting clarifications on issues to do with the case. This follows allegations by Sunday Mail editor Edmund Kudzayi, who is accused of being behind the faceless Facebook character, that he became aware of the Baba Jukwa issue when Environment, Water and Climate Minister Saviour Kasukuwere called him as an IT expert to assess and make an overview of information supplied by an Australian-based hacker only identified as Kennedy.
Kudzayi said after making a report back to Minister Kasukuwere, he was referred to Prof Moyo who took him to the Ministry of Defence with whom he worked to expose the Baba Jukwa syndicate.
Contacted for comment in the wake of a flurry of media reports claiming he had been summoned or arrested over the Baba Jukwa issue yesterday, Prof Moyo said the police had asked him to help them in investigating the case.
“Yes, I can confirm that the ZRP officers who are investigating the so-called Baba Jukwa saga asked me to help them in their investigations and I was happy to oblige
“I am, however, not at liberty to give any details about the clarifications I made. Indeed, I consider my submission to the police to be privileged information such that it is entirely up to the investigating and prosecuting authorities to decide what to do with my averments.
“If there is any lesson from this, it is that nobody is above or outside the law and that all of us must always and everywhere submit ourselves, and by that I mean our actions, to the rule of law in accordance with our Constitution.”
Prof Moyo was accompanied to the Police General Headquarters by his lawyer Mr Terrence Hussein of Hussein and Ranchod Legal Practitioners.
Mr Hussein could also not disclose the nature of the clarifications that Prof Moyo made, simply saying the police wanted clarification on “one or two issues.”
“Yes, I accompanied him to the PGHQ and they wanted clarification on some issues,” he said. “We were happy to provide the information. It was an informal meeting to clarify one or two issues. I cannot disclose the information because it has to do with investigations police are carrying out.
“Police requested such information and all I can say is that there was goodwill from both parties.
No comment could be obtained from police chief spokesperson Senior Assistant Commissioner Charity Charamba as she was not picking her phone for the better part of the day yesterday.
Kudzayi and his brother Phillip have since appeared in court accused of attempting to subvert a constitutionally-elected Government and undermining the authority of the President.
They are both out on bail with stringent conditions.
The Jukwa saga has sucked in 13 suspects with police last week saying they were looking for the 13th suspect connected to the faceless Facebook character.
The 13th suspect, identified as one Chawarika Matongorere, who is based in South Africa is accused of sourcing funds and posting subversive material on the Baba Jukwa page.
The other suspects are Wilf and Trish Mbanga, publishers of The Zimbabwean newspaper who are based in the UK; as well as the weekly newspaper’s South Africa correspondent, Mxolisi Ncube; UK-based computer programmer Samson Chifamba; UK-based systems and software engineer Walter Shoko; George Chirakasha, a Zimbabwean resident in the UK, as well as Anomie Drew, Piniel Nhokodi, Romeo Musemburi and Sarudzai Florence.