Chiwandire’s fight put on hold

29 Sep, 2022 - 00:09 0 Views
Chiwandire’s fight put on hold Kudakwashe “Take Money” Chiwandire

The Herald

Tadious Manyepo Sports Reporter

KUDAKWASHE “Take Money” Chiwandire will not be in the ring on Saturday.

Her next sojourn in the WBC section will depend on the world’s number one boxing board’s response on a postponement request sought by the local authorities.

The 26-year-old was supposed to defend her WBC super-bantamweight interim title against Mexican challenger Zulina Munoz at the Harare International Conference Centre this Saturday.

But fight promoters Delta Force Academy failed to put together the fight.

They were supposed to raise the funds to ensure the country host a WBC-sanctioned event for the very first time.

But some miscommunication between them and the Zimbabwe National Boxing and Wrestling Control Board meant nothing could be brought to the table.

And it looked increasingly likely Chiwandire would be stripped of her belt without throwing a punch.

The bickering between Delta Force Academy and the ZNBWCB didn’t help matters either. Until yesterday, there was tension between the two.

They, however, convened a marathon meeting from which they decided only ZNBWCB will be formally talking to the media.

The two have also resolved to seek yet another postponement of the much-awaited duel.

They are expecting a positive response from the WBC authorities as well as Munoz’s camp.

But, at the moment, they can only keep their fingers crossed.

They will jointly have a press conference tomorrow where they will announce a new date and venue subject to their postponement request being granted.

ZNBWCB chief executive, Lawrence Zimbudzana, wasn’t answering his calls yesterday.

Delta Force Academy marketing and administration officer, Eric Kandiwa, said he was not in a position to answer questions.

“What I can confirm is that we are now in good terms with the Zimbabwe National Boxing and Wrestling Control Board after our meeting today (yesterday),” said Kandiwa.

“We have resolved that only the ZNBWCB will be issuing statements to the media.

“I cannot comment further than that. We are still looking forward to the fight but the details will only be released by the board (ZNBWCB)”.

The ZNBWCB hinted on Tuesday the postponement could be just a day or two but if granted they can opt for next week Saturday.

“Obviously the only thing to do now is seek a postponement. Maybe we can postpone by a day or two. Maybe we can also seek to hold it for midweek or Saturday next week depending on what the authorities would have said,” said Zimbudzana earlier this week.

“At the end of the day, boxing should be the winner.

“We really need to stage this fight in Zimbabwe because this is the first time we will be hosting WBC showdown here.

“The profile of the country will grow in terms of the game and our boxers will feel even more capacitated and confident.

“We have to do everything to make sure the fight remains on.”

It was not immediately clear whether the ZNBWCB and Delta Force Academy had found the money to finance the tournament.

Chiwandire remains in camp and is reportedly growing anxious.

The fight was supposed to have been held on August 27 before the promoters sought a one-month deferment.

Share This:

Sponsored Links