Woods turns down US$800m offer Tiger Woods

NEW YORK. — Tiger Woods turned down an offer that Greg Norman says was “somewhere in that neighbourhood” of US$700 million to US$800 million to take part in the Saudi-funded LIV Golf series.

During an appearance on Fox News with Tucker Carlson that aired on Monday night, Norman confirmed what he told the Washington Post in a story two months ago. Norman told the Post in June the offer was “mind-blowingly enormous; we’re talking about high nine digits.”

Woods has been opposed to LIV Golf since late last year, and he delivered his strongest comments at the British Open when he said players who took the money funded by the Saudi Arabian sovereign wealth fund had “turned their back” on the PGA Tour that made them famous.

American Woods, who maintained his allegiance to the PGA Tour, said at St Andrews he does not “see how that move is positive in the long term for a lot of these players”.

He also defended the R&A’s decision to rescind former winner Norman’s invitation to festivities celebrating the 150th Open Championship.

“Greg has done some things that I don’t think is in the best interest of our game,” said Woods.  When an offer was made to Woods was not clear.

“That number was out there before I became CEO. So that number has been out there, yes,” Norman said in the Fox News interview, which took place on Sunday at Trump National in Bedminster, New Jersey, where the third LIV Golf Invitational was held. “And, look, Tiger is a needle-mover and of course you have to look at the best of the best,” Norman said. “So they had originally approached Tiger before I became CEO. So, yes, that number was somewhere in that neighbourhood.”

Various reports out of the United Kingdom have said Phil Mickelson received a US$200 million signing bonus, while Dustin Johnson received US$150 million. — AP

You Might Also Like

Comments