Felex Share Senior Reporter
Zanu-PF yesterday described as “mischief makers” members and affiliate organisations who are stoking the succession debate in the private media at a time President Mugabe has asserted that he will continue leading the country and the revolutionary party at the pleasure of the electorate.
The revolutionary party’s spokesperson Cde Simon Khaya Moyo said President Mugabe’s statement during the One-Million- Man March last month, should guide all progressive Zanu-PF cadres.
Some party members and war veterans have of late been granting interviews to the private media discussing about succession.
- President irreplaceable, says First Lady
- Factionalism treasonous: President
- Zanu-PF scoffs at ‘succession plot’ reports
- No to divisions, says President
- President speaks on successor, 2018
- Successionists daydreaming: President
“Zanu-PF is fully aware of some mischief makers on the succession issue,” Cde Khaya Moyo said.
“Unless some people suffer from malignant myopia, the position of the party on this misguided matter rests which the pronouncement made by the President and First Secretary of the party Cde Robert Mugabe at the One Million Man March held on May 25, 2016 in Harare.
“The hundreds of thousands of people who attended the spectacular event organised by the Youth League got the message from the President loud and clear. The party is therefore alarmed by the uncalled for debate from some misguided quarters on a matter closed and sealed.”
Cde Khaya Moyo also had no kind words for the private media.
He said: “The private media who are spearheading this unwarranted and sinister agenda must stop this dangerous effort once and for all. The party, Zanu-PF has always called on all patriotic Zimbabweans to expend their energies on the implementation of Zim-Asset as a way to achieve the total economic emancipation of our people. Enough is enough.”
During the One Million Man March, President Mugabe said he was there to stay and would not be pushed out through calls by opposition political parties and their Western backers.
He said he drew his mandate from the party membership and to that end, he would only step down if the revolutionary party says so.
“Ko ndogoenda kupi? I belong to my people,” President Mugabe said.
“My people say ‘stay here’. I am not a Briton, I don’t like it. I am not American, I am not Yankee. I told (former British Prime Minister Tony) Blair to keep his England so that I can keep my Zimbabwe. Ko, zvino?”
President Mugabe said he belonged to Zimbabwe and was put in his position by Zanu-PF adding that the two had a right to ask him to step down.
“I belong to Zimbabwe. So, they say I must go. The outsiders, why do they want Zimbabwe to stand down, to resign, to retire?
“Vanhu vanguka ndovangati aah, chiregai. Ko MDC itsitsi here dzekunzwira VaMugabe kuti vaneta? Kana kutya VaMugabe? Kutya VaMugabe, so tell the papers that VaMugabe says, go hang! Hang yourself. Anyway tiri tese. I am at the service of the people. If the people say I should go, I go. But as long as I feel I can serve the people and I can do my best as I have done in the past, I will do my best and when time comes I go. Hapana kwandinoenda,” said President Mugabe.