Sadza man arrested for assaulting son with axe Taurai Takawira (43) of Plot 56 Deerhurst Farm, Mhangura and Tinotenda Takawira (16) of L13 Damba location, Mhangura, were arrested Monday.

Victor Maphosa

Mashonaland East Bureau

Police in Mashonaland East Province have arrested Titus Bhunga (77) for allegedly assaulting his son Washington (36) with an axe following a misunderstanding.

It is reported that the misunderstanding arose when Bhunga bought beer for Washington’s wife Netsai Kanerutsine.

This did not go down well with Washington who quizzed his father over the issue.

It is alleged that the two engaged in an argument which eventually turned into a physical fight.

Allegations are that Bhunga then grabbed an axe which was hung in one of the rooms and struck his son on the forehead, stomach, shoulder and back.

Police spokesperson for Mashonaland East Province Inspector Simon Chazovachiyi confirmed the incident.

“On February 28, 2024, at around 8 am, Washington’s wife Netsai reported the matter at ZRP Sadza and police officers attended the scene and arrested Titus Bhunga,” he said.

Inspector Chazovachiyi said Washington sustained deep cuts on the face and the stomach and was referred to Sadza District Hospital where he was admitted and is in a serious condition.

He said investigations into the matter were in progress.

Meanwhile, investigations are continuing following the death of a Murehwa boy (12) whose remains were discovered in a cooler box.

Arnold Gorembeu reportedly went missing on February 3, 2024, while playing with his friends at Musami Business Centre.

On the day he went missing, Arnold’s father Mr Golden Gorembeu had gone for a business trip in Bindura. The father returned from Bindura and was informed by his mother-in-law Ms Esther Mutetwa (62) who is a vendor at Musami Business Centre, that Arnold was missing.

Reports are that the father assumed that his son was still playing somewhere with his friends, and he immediately left to attend a memorial service in the nearby Chivhinge Village.

It is further reported that the father returned from the memorial service the next day at around 8am and discovered that his son had not slept at home.

He then informed other villagers and a search team was formed, which combed the area in search of the boy to no avail.

This prompted the father to make a missing person report at Musami Post at around 6pm on the same day.

After making the report, the search for the boy continued and it was not until around 8pm that the now deceased’s young brother Genius (7) discovered Arnold’s body in one of the vending cooler boxes.

A report was then made to the police and officers attended the scene.

The body of the boy was later ferried to the mortuary for postmortem.

You Might Also Like


Take our Survey

We value your opinion! Take a moment to complete our survey