police yet to get leads on Sunningdale bomb
Freeman Razemba Crime Reporter
Police are still keen to question the four suspects who brought the explosive that killed a man in Sunningdale last week, with no leads so far in locating the suspects.
Last week, police appealed to hospitals and private doctors to be on the lookout for one of the suspects who was injured during the blast that killed Moses Mudefi and injured his colleague, James Mupunga.
Investigations revealed that one of the four suspects who brought the explosive was injured during the blast and blown into a maize field and his accomplices carried him into their vehicle and fled the scene.
Police identified the explosive as an 81mm mortar bomb that was brought by four people — three men and a woman — to Mudefi’s house who died while trying to grind it.
The four were travelling in a Pajero mini that was parked a few metres from the deceased’s house.
Mupunga is still admitted at Harare Central Hospital’s Intensive Care Unit in a critical condition.
Police said anyone with information that might assist with investigations should contact Police General Headquarters on (04) 703631 or any nearest police station.
Last Monday, the four suspects first approached Courage Chiyangwa, a welder, and told him that they wanted him to open the bomb, but he refused.
They then moved to Mudefi’s house where they offered him US$5 for the job.
Mudefi started working on the bomb which then exploded.
Members of the Bomb Disposal Unit, CID Forensic Unit and detectives visited the scene for investigations.