WINDHOEK. — President Hage Geingob is pondering lifting the state of emergency imposed six months ago among a raft of measures to curb the spread of Covid-19 as the country reported its 100th death over the weekend.
President Geingob recently said key considerations would be made in the next five days while moderate level three restriction measures will be extended across the country.
The state of emergency, which was imposed to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus earlier this year, ends on Thursday.
“We will see within the next five days if there is a need to extend it, but people need to behave well so that we don’t extend it. If it is needed, we will extend it if there is danger,” President Geingob said.
He also added that, “the measures will apply to all 14 regions from Sunday, September 13, 2020, until midnight Thursday, September 17, 2020”.
The president maintained travel restrictions in and out of Windhoek, Okahandja and Rehoboth local authority areas, but he increased the maximum number of people allowed to congregate at social gatherings from 10 to 50.
President Geingob also stretched curfew hours from 8pm-5am to 10pm-5am.
Several businesses such as restaurants, cafés and informal food traders “for sit-down meals . . . ” may resume countrywide, including within the restricted areas of Windhoek, Okahandja and Rehoboth.
These businesses can also sell alcohol for onsite consumption only.
However, for shebeens, bars and liquor outlets, trading hours will remain limited and on take-away basis while entertainment events, conferences and workshops will resume in compliance with the new regulations.
Nightclubs and gambling houses remain closed for the duration of this period.
Contact sports will not be permitted to resume, considering challenges to comply with public health measures, President Geingob said. — The Namibian.