Mzembi to stand trial in November

03 Sep, 2018 - 00:09 0 Views
Mzembi to stand trial in November Walter Mzembi

The Herald

Nokutenda Chiyangwa Herald Reporter
The trial of former Tourism and Hospitality Industry Minister Walter Mzembi, who is facing $1,6 million theft of trust property charges, is expected to start on November 29.

Mzembi faces another theft of trust property charge involving $184 336.

He is said to have connived with three others and seized vehicles which, according to the State, should have been surrendered after the United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO) general assembly held in Victoria Falls in 2013.

Through his lawyer, Mr Job Sikhala, Mzembi had earlier sought to have the case dismissed, arguing he had no case to answer.

He instead implicated former permanent secretary in the ministry, Dr Sylvester Maunganidze.

Mzembi said in terms of international law, items used at a conference belonged to the organisers of that conference.

He claimed that he was not a signatory of the company in which the funds were  deposited.

The application was dismissed.

In dismissing the application, magistrate Mrs Rumbidzai Mugwagwa said there was sufficient evidence linking Mzembi to the crime.

Mzembi is on $400 bail.

Share This:

Sponsored Links