Macheso eyes 100 years Alick Macheso (centre) flanked by his security team

Trust Khosa

SUNGURA ace Alick Macheso says his prayer is to become a centenarian and save future generations.

Macheso, who turned 56-years-old yesterday, shared his dream on the sidelines of his show held on Sunday at Jongwe Corner in Hatfield, Harare. He shared the stage with Peter Moyo, while fellow musicians Progress Chipfumo, Wanai Ndudzo, Tendai Ngwazi and Carlos Green graced the event.

Born on June 10, 1968 in Shamva, Mashonaland Central Province, Macheso was raised by a single mother after his father Hudson Chisale abandoned the family, when he was still young.

Now a family man and a fatherly figure in the music industry, following the death of Oliver “Tuku” Mtukudzi in 2019, Macheso is itching to live longer.

“It is a blessing and God’s favour when people celebrate birthdays in good health and mind.

“I feel loved by fans from all walks of life, who have been showering me with lovely birthday messages. I wish I could live to over 100 years and share some of my experiences with future generations,” he said.

The Orchestra Mberikwazvo boss, who had a tough upbringing, said he was a “baby of grace”, where he came from.

“To be honest life was hard for me to the extent that I almost gave up. It was not easy for us as we grew up in a farming community, where opportunities eluded us.

“I didn’t give up on my dream of being a musician and I feel loved to be here doing what I enjoy most, which is making new music,” he said.

Macheso, who has been working closely with both upcoming and struggling musicians, has pledged to do his best and change other people’s lives.

“I can’t say I have the means to satisfy everyone, but from the look of things, I am compelled to assist others with the little that I have.

“As a role model to fellow musicians, it means that I should continue behaving like an elder and share some of the nuggets about life.

“I have an important role to save others with guidance from God.”

He, however, told The Herald Arts that he was celebrating his 56th birthday with a heavy heart as a result of the drug abuse menace ravaging the youths.

“We are living in trying times as we are battling drug and substance abuse among young people.

“It’s quite unfortunate that girls have also joined this web and it’s sad that we are losing some who should be serving the nation.

“It’s now scary when we are being forced to bury our young ones, which should be the opposite,” he said.

He also took the opportunity to apologise for postponing the launch of his 12th album.

“We are very much aware that our fans have been waiting for the launch of our album which had been set for June 7 at Alex Sports Club before we moved it to August 2 at the same venue.”

You Might Also Like

Comments