LP gas explosion; one injured, four shops damaged
Mashonaland Central Bureau
A Bindura man, Mr Milton Mashanda was seriously injured while four shops were damaged at Bindura Home Industry during an LP gas explosion this morning. He was rushed to Bindura Hospital.
A witness, Mr Mercian Pasirayi said the incident happened at around 11 am when Mashanda was cooking and refilling a gas tank at the same time.
The enclosure where Mashanda was operating his LP gas business had four shops in different businesses including second-hand clothes, mechanics, and poultry.
“He was cooking beans on a gas stove outside the shop while refilling a gas tank inside the shop. The tank was unattended resulting in a pipe burst and the explosion,” he said.
Bindura Municipality, which recently purchased two fire tenders, sent one of the fire tenders to put out the fire.
Due to the intensity of the fire, Freda Rebecca sent another fire tender.
Environmental planning and monitoring officer Mrs Ericah Uzanda said they are still investigating the incident but the premise was not appropriate for LP gas business.
Environmental Management Agency recently concluded its blitz on illegal LP gas operators.
Mrs Muzanda said it was impossible to reach every corner but urged people to get licences and exercise caution when dealing with hazardous substances.
“We are yet to meet the owner to establish whether or not he or she was licensed. LP gas business needs an open space and properly ventilated environment and this place was not appropriate,” she said.