Karoro trial moved to 2023

05 Dec, 2022 - 00:12 0 Views
Karoro trial moved to 2023 Douglas Karoro

The Herald

Nyore Madzianike

Senior Court Reporter

THE trial of former Deputy Minister of Agriculture, Water, Fisheries and Rural Development Douglas Karoro and Grain Marketing Board (GMB) Mushumbi Pools depot assistant manager Lovejoy Ngowe, who are facing fraud charges, was last week adjourned to next year after Kororo’s legal representative was said to be engaged at the Supreme Court.

The trial was set for January 25 after Karoro’s lawyer Mr Admire Rubaya was said to be engaged at the Supreme Court. 

Karoro and Ngowe are charged with two counts of fraud. 

Ngowe is represented by lawyer Mr Batanai Pesanai.

The two allegedly misappropriated agricultural inputs under the Presidential Inputs Scheme worth US$43 000, in March which were meant to benefit farmers in Mbire constituency. 

Karoro allegedly went to collect the seed from Ngowe on separate occasions using his cars and having the seed marked on the dispatch vouchers as for the needy in the constituency.

 The two allegedly converted the seed to their own use. 

Ngowe was allegedly found in possession of 10x2kg Seedco SC301 maize seed and 10x5kg Seedco SC513 maize seed in his house at GMB Mushumbi pools. GMB is said to have lost US$18 030 in the process. 

Again in March, Karoro and Ngowe met at Mahuwe Shopping Centre in Mushumbi Pools, and hatched a plan to defraud GMB Mushumbi Pools. 

On March 23, Karoro allegedly received 5 000 Vegetable Combo kits comprising of 2,5g rape, onion, texas grano, carrots nantes from Valley Seed Private Limited. 

He was supposed to hand them over to GMB Mushumbi Depot under the Presidential Input Programme.

Karoro and Ngowe allegedly failed to deliver the vegetable combo kits to GMB Mushumbi Pool and converted them to their own use, with Ngowe ordering subordinate staff to enter fraudulent details into the records. 

GMB lost US$25 000 in the process, according to the State.

Share This:

Sponsored Links