Debate on the Zanu-PF vice-presidency took a new twist on Monday with two Politburo members from Matabeleland South accusing some ex-Zipra cadres of announcing their preferred candidates before procedures are followed.Former top PF-Zapu official, Cde Naison Khutshwekhaya Ndlovu added his voice to the ongoing discussion on the possible successors of the late VP Landa John Nkomo, who died in January last year, saying party members should stop issuing what he said were premature and misleading statements on the issue.
Another Politburo member Cde Richard Ndlovu said it was wrong for members to start campaigning for the vacant VP’s post as Zanu-PF had not sanctioned any canvassing.
Cde Khutshwekhaya Ndlovu said that it was misleading to conclude that it was now a done deal that anyone is assured of the VP post.
“The race for the VP post has not yet been declared open. The Unity Accord is very clear on this and states that the most senior person in former PF-Zapu ascends to the position or competes for the position with other former senior members,” he said.
His remarks follow Zanu-PF Politburo member and Matabeleland South Provincial Minister of State Cde Abedinico Ncube’s declaration on Saturday that the province supported national chairman Cde Simon Khaya Moyo to land the post.
Former Zimbabwe Ambassador to South Africa Cde Phelekezela Mphoko and ex-Zipra commander Retired Brigadier General Ambrose Mutinhiri have expressed interest in taking up the post.
They are likely to battle it out with Cde Khaya Moyo who has refused to declare interest but is regarded as a front-runner.
Cde Richard Ndlovu concurred saying party members should follow procedures and avoid confusing people.
“We are not fighting anyone but we want to make it clear that it is wrong for people to campaign for the post when there is no directive to do so,” he said.
“We must take cognisance of the hierarchy and avoid making public statements, especially in the media. No individual speaks for the other until the time to do so comes.”