Eddie Chikamhi Sports Reporter
HARARE giants Dynamos have approached the National Football Association of Zimbabwe appealing against a default judgment by the Premier Soccer League Disciplinary Committee which fined them $3 500 and ordered them to play their next home game in an empty stadium.
Club president Kenny Mubaiwa yesterday said they have since written to NAFAZ to have the judgment set aside citing some irregularities.
The judgment was passed in default after the former champions failed to send a representative to the hearing that was chaired by Don Vuma last month.
DeMbare were found guilty of contravening three sections of the PSL Rules and Regulations after a section of violent supporters cause chaos and engaged in running battles with the police following the 1-0 home defeat by FC Platinum at Rufaro on May 15.
“We have sought to take the issue up with NAFAZ because we didn’t find the judgment proper. First of all, we were given short notice and therefore couldn’t send anyone to represent the club at the hearing.
“Secondly, we don’t find it proper that our supporters should be locked out since the disturbances they talk about did not happen in the ground.
“It’s something that took place long after the game and probably those hooligans were thugs who took advantage of the situation.
“Thirdly, we believe it was going to be a different scenario if the violence was committed against the opponents. If anything, the FC Platinum players, supporters and officials were cheered by those hooligans.
“The opponents were not in any form of danger. It was Dynamos players and officials who were under siege and as a club we are taking steps to address those disturbances,” said Mubaiwa.
Besides being ordered to play their next PSL-sanctioned home match in an empty stadium, Dynamos were fined $3 500 of which $1 500 was suspended for the rest of the season on condition that the club is not convicted of a similar offence.
But the effective fine of $2 000, together with the costs of the hearing, has to be paid by the end of this month.
Mubaiwa said if NAFAZ confirm receipt of their appeal, it would mean that the judgment will be set aside for now and supporters allowed in for the match against Ngezi Platinum until a decision is made by the higher office.
The Glamour Boys are still in mourning following the death of eight of their supporters in a road accident that happened along the Harare-Bulawayo road at the weekend and Mubaiwa said it would be unfair for their fans to be locked out at this moment.
The Harare businessman said there are plans to host a memorial service at Rufaro Stadium next week in remembrance of the deceased.
However, PSL Disciplinary Committee chairman Vuma said Dynamos must be summoned to appear before the committee to explain why they did not attend the hearing, given the serious nature of the charges they were facing.
“Dynamos pleaded guilty to the charge ‘due to overwhelming evidence’, (as per their letter responding to the charge). Dynamos chose not to attend the hearing.
“The committee waited for them from 1700 hours up to 1815 hours, where after it proceeded with the hearing in their absence.
“The prosecutor submitted that, Dynamos had been fined twice this year for breach of the PSL Rules and Regulations and that it seems these standing order fines are not achieving the desired results hence to summon them before the committee, which they have chosen to snub.
“The chairman and the secretary-general were reminded of the hearing and yet they chose to ignore the hearing.
“Such irresponsible behaviour cannot be condoned and they should be dragged before the committee to explain why they decided not to attend the hearing. Clubs cannot break the rules with impunity.
“The violence resulted in some people’s property being damaged. Vehicles were stoned and some windscreens smashed. There was danger to human life,” said Vuma.