Tadious Manyepo in CHIVHU
CHIVHU is usually short on national sporting activities, but the transit town is expected to come alive tonight with the Charles Manyuchi boxing tournament finding its way at the Phil-Jen Lodges.
The tournament, whose brainchild is iconic boxer Charles Manyuchi and hails from the same town, has been the talk of the community with several people gathering yesterday just to see the ring being mounted.
And hordes are expected to grace the tournament tonight which features two international title fights.
Dubbed the “Inauguration of Kings”, the contest’s main bout is a unification of the WBF and WABA belts and pits Zimbabwe’s Tatenda “Signature” Biningu against Robert Kachisa of Malawi.
On the other hand, another Zimbabwean boxer, Evans “Vanzo” Usavihwevhu, takes on Yohane Banda also of Malawi for the WBF lightweight crown.
This is the first time that a tournament of this magnitude is taking place in Chivhu as the Zimbabwe National Boxing and Wrestling Board moves to decentralise the sport.
Biningu knows he carries the hopes of the whole country on his shoulders.
He expressed confidence he will win the fight.
“Boxing is a tough sport. I would like to believe the best boxer will win the bout tomorrow (tonight),” said Biningu.
“I am, however, very confident I will win the fight.
“I am guaranteed home support and I am prepared both mentally and physically for the fight.
“This is my opportunity to write my name in the folklore of Zimbabwe boxing history.
“I am pumped up for the contest and let me do the rest in the ring.”
Usavihwevhu said he will be fighting to make his mentor Manyuchi proud.
“It’s not about me or my family. This is about those who introduced me in the game and helped me grow like Charles Manyuchi.
It’s about my country and its people. We can’t go down at home, that’s impossible,” said Usavihwevhu.
1.Tatenda Biningu (Zim) v Rorbet Kachisa (Malawi) WBF Title Fight Super-Bantamweight
- Evans Usayihwenhu (Zim) v Yohane Banda (Malawi) WBF Title Fight Lightweight
- Clever Sithole (Zim) v Lazarus Sithole (Zim) Super-Middleweight
- Itai Mutsvairo (Zim) v Romio Chibanda (Zim) Heavyweight
- Tafadzwa Mushando(Zim) v Wellington Chigumba (Zim) Lightweight
- Monica Mukandla (Zim) v Babra Banda (Malawi) Super-Bantamweight
- Faina Musekiwa(Zim) v Rutendo Sasha (Zim) Bantamweight
- John Andrew (Zim) v Terence Muronda (Zim) Light-Welterweight
- Revai Mandodo (Zim) v Loveness Khaka (Malawi) Bantamweight.