CAPS United  reach semis at B/F Lloyd Chitembwe

Nkosilathi Sibanda-Sports Reporter

CAPS United survived a second half comeback from Highlanders to reach the semi-final of the Chibuku Super Cup via penalties at Barbourfields yesterday.

Having stormed into a 2-0 halftime lead, CAPS United had to hold on for dear life as Highlanders dominated the second half and forced the shootout. Bosso however, were victims of poor decision making in the final third.

The coaches from both sides said it plainly that the cup game was unpredictable yet so needed to conclude victoriously.

Highlanders coach Baltemar Brito’s reaction was of a man whose bruised effort was to repair after some days.  “It was a good game, but, I think in the second half we lost it,” said Brito.  He spoke well of his players’ ability to maintain possession for the good part of the match. He, however,made reference to the sluggish show that came up in the third end of the field that his strike forces failed.

With teams separated after the penalty lottery, Brito was frank to say his team had to work on that tact.

As was the norm for a winning coach, Lloyd Chitembwe beamed. He was happy.

“It was a good game. Both teams had the opportunities and luckily we used those opportunities to work in our favour,” said Chitembwe. The home side was the better in the battle, having recovered and made it 2-2, yet to go down, in the penalty shootout.

In that penalty lottery Bosso forward Lynoth Chikuhwa missed the second spot kick as the Bulawayo giants were bundled out.

The Green Machine started off the game on the front foot and got their two goals in the first half through Clive Rupiya who headed home a Rodwell Chinyengetere corner kick in the 35th minute. Joseph Tulani doubled  the lead for Makepekepe with a header inside the box off a Erick Manokore free-kick.

Bosso got their act together in the second half and pulled one back through captain of the day Mbongeni Ndlovu.

Better known as Mbola, Ndlovu,  who slotted home from close range following an Andrew Mbeba free-kick nine minutes after the break.  As if that was not enough, Mbeba would level matters through a well taken free-kick just outside the box in the 62nd minute.

In the penalty shootout  CAPS United converted all their spot kicks through Devon Chafa, Erick Manokore, Ian Nyoni, Rodwell Chinyengetere and Hastings Chipusha. Andrew Mbeba, Melikhaya Ncube and Mason Mushore got their shots on target with Chikuhwa who took the second spotkick missing.


Highlanders: R Pitisi (gk), R Lunga (A Kutsanzira, 70 mins), M Mushore, A Mbeba, E Farasi (L.Chikuhwa 46 mins), M Mushore, P Muduhwa, A Faira, M Ndlovu, W Navaya, M Ncube

CAPS United:

T Mateyaunga (A Reynars, 90 mins), E Manokore, I Zambezi, H Chapusha, L Manganyira, D Chafa, B Sarupinda (C Sithole, 79 mins), J Tulani, P Bamusi, C Rupiya (I Nyoni, 90 mins), R Chinyengetere

You Might Also Like