Jonathan Mbiriyamveka Entertainment Reporter
Roots reggae artiste Luciano, who was scheduled to perform at the Sting 2014 show in Harare on November 1, has called off his tour over ill health and the Ebola outbreak in Africa.
Luciano, whose real name is Jepther McClymont, cancelled his visit after the Jamaican government issued a travel warning against travelling to Africa.
“Luciano and his team regrettably informs reggae fans and event promoters that he will not be able to perform live in Africa for the shows he was scheduled to headline. Luciano is currently not in the best of health and as such, has been prevented from performing at any show scheduled in this period.
“Complying with strict doctor’s orders, Luciano will take time to recuperate so that a full and quick recovery will take place.
“Additionally, the government of Jamaica has also requested that individuals who had planned on travelling to Africa refrain from doing so until the Ebola epidemic has been controlled.
“We are truly saddened to hear and watch this illness hurt so many of our fellow brothers and sisters, so as attempts are being made to stop this truly horrific situation we keep you all in our thoughts and hope that this will be resolved as soon as possible. Blessed love from Luciano, Jah Messenjah,” he posted on his official page.
This seems to be yet another glaring example of how even people who claim to be originally Africans cannot get over the misconception that Africa is a continent made up of many different countries and not some homogeneous land mass that is typified by barbaric traditions, ignorance, disease, famine and tribal genocide. The Ebola virus has become an epidemic and is spreading across western Africa.
Cases of Ebola have been reported in places like the US and Spain but the same countries that have issued travel warnings against travelling to Africa have not done so against those other places.
And for anyone who cares to look at the facts, there has been no reported case of Ebola in Southern Africa and for the government of Jamaica to issue a blanket warning against the continent is such a disappointment.
Partson Chimbodza of Chipaz Promotions, the organisers of Sting 2014 confirmed yesterday that Luciano was no longer on the bill with the issue of payments still up for discussion.
“We had already paid Luciano half of his appearance fee. But they can refund or we postpone the event,” he said.
Asked if he was going to cancel the show, Chimbodza said they were still weighing their options and would announce their decision in due course.
Besides guest appearance by Luciano, highlight of Sting 2014 was the tune-for-tune battle between Soul Jah Love and Seh Calaz both from Mbare.
The two feuding Zim dancehall acts have not had a face-off since they started out in music, however, they have always traded barbs in songs.
The case in point was when Soul Jah Love of the Conquering Family replied to Seh Calaz’s diss track “Handipisike”.