|Boy (13) dies in firecracker accident|
|Monday, 31 December 2012 00:00|
Daniel Nemukuyu Senior Reporter
Saturday evening after the explosion.
The teenager was, however, transferred to Parirenyatwa Hospitals where he died on admission.
“There was an explosion that attracted people to where Innocent was. He had just driven the cattle into the kraal around 4pm.
“His face was seriously deformed. The mouth and the jaws were tattered and some three teeth fell off at the scene.
“Some are saying it was a firecracker, but firecrackers are not common in our village during the Christmas holiday.
“Maybe he just picked it up on his way from the kraal and fired it,” said Ms Zambezi.
“We are on our way to Masvingo. Burial arrangements are yet to be finalised,” said Ms Zambezi.
Thirty-year old Isaiah Tadzembwa of Dulibadzimu suburb bought a set of crackers at the bus terminus for his children.
When he got home at around 10 pm he decided to start the fireworks and lit one of the crackers.
The cracker exploded in his palms blowing off two of his fingers and severely injuring two others.
On New Year’s Eve last year, a Harare toddler, Tanaka Masanga, met a similar fate when he lost his left eye after a firecracker lit by his peers exploded in his face.
Firecrackers have suddenly become popular with children on Christmas and New Year’s evenings, but most of them are proving ignorant on how to safely explode them.
A firecracker (also known as a cracker, noisemaker, banger or bunger) is a small explosive device primarily designed to produce a loud bang; any visual effect is incidental to this goal.
Firecrackers have fuses and are wrapped in heavy paper casing that contains the explosive compound.