|Cabinet okays new youth policy|
|Wednesday, 13 June 2012 15:43|
CABINET has approved a new youth policy setting 35 years as the maximum age limit for one to participate in youth activities. Youth Development, Indigenisation and Economic Empowerment Minister Saviour Kasukuwere revealed this yesterday during the announcement of a new Zimbabwe Youth Council board.
“The national youth policy has been approved by Cabinet today and it is a culmination of comprehensive and extensive consultations with youths around the country,” said Minister Kasukuwere.
“In the new policy which is in line with the African Youth Charter, 35 years is now the maximum age for one to be considered youth. Youth owned companies are now required by law to be awarded 25 percent of all Government contracts to make sure they participate in the national economy.
“This is really a major stride by our Government. With immediate effect youths will be demanding and competing for their share as stipulated by the policy.”
Minister Kasukuwere said the policy will go a long way in reducing unemployment among youths.
He said guiding principles of the policy included enhancement of peace and national unity, gender inclusive, mainstreaming and prioritising youth issues.
Minister Kasukuwere also said the policy covers all ethnic youth groups of Zimbabwe who include the Khoisan, disabled and special groups such as the Coloured, Albinos and previously marginalised people.
The new 15-member youth board has six females and includes youths from the academic, the disabled, politicians, Albinos and Coloured among others.
The board is chaired Herbert Huruva.
Minister Kasukuwere urged the new board to be dedicated, committed and diligent in the discharge of its responsibilities for the development of the nation.