|Zesa staffer electrocuted|
|Wednesday, 13 June 2012 15:39|
A Zimbabwe Rural Electrification Agency project co-ordinator was electrocuted while connecting a school to a power grid in Mutoko last week. The tragedy occurred at Tsinga Primary School under Chief Mutoko where Xavier Revesai Katomari (48) was connecting power to the school.
Mashonaland East provincial police spokesperson Inspector Bulisani Bhebhe confirmed the incident.
He said Katomari died on the spot after he was shocked by high voltage.
“It is reported that Katomari was working on a high voltage line with Stephen Kativhu, a line assistant, and Dennis Mangozvo when he was electrocuted,” Insp Bhebhe said.
A report was made at Mutoko Rural Police Station who attended the scene.
“Katomari’s body was taken to Mutoko Rural Hospital and is awaiting a postmortem,” Insp Bhebhe said.
Zesa Holdings spokesperson Mr Fullard Gwasira said the incident was regrettable and they will investigate to ascertain what happened.
“I can confirm that there was an electrical accident in Mutoko last week. Regrettably a life was lost.
“The incident involved Rural Electrification Agency staff working on our lines. I cannot comment further on this matter,” said Mr Gwasira.
“We are deeply saddened by this development and full impartial investigations are currently underway to ascertain what actually transpired.”