|Health Trust donates equipment for national emergencies|
|Wednesday, 23 May 2012 00:00|
The National Health Care Trust of Zimbabwe has donated equipment worth over US$50 000 to Government for national emergency operations. Speaking at the handover ceremony recently, Deputy Minister for Health and Child Welfare Dr Douglas Mombeshora lauded the commitment by health organisations in rehabilitating the health sector.
He said the donation will go a long way in ensuring swift deliveries of services in times of disaster.
The equipment includes computers, a photocopier, video and digital cameras, which will be used during outbreaks of infectious diseases.
“This will go a long way in ensuring that the general health services no longer get disrupted during outbreaks and indeed that outbreaks become more manageable,” said Dr Mombeshora.
He said although outbreaks were still being experienced in the country, his ministry will continue to curb the diseases.
Dr Mombeshora said the poor sanitation had been the major problem for the outbreaks.
“Outbreaks of water-borne diseases are set to continue for several years due to the dilapidated public health infrastructure, which we have incriminated as causing the epidemics,” he said.
NHCT board member Mr Fungai Mandivheyi said the 2 008 cholera epidemic was a wake-up call in the health sector hence the country needed to be prepared for such disasters.
He also said returning skilled workers in the health sector would also help in improving the health sector.
Mr Mandivheyi said they have to give back to the community since they come from the same community.
“Our clients are the ones who propelled us to where we are today, so we need to appreciate their effort,” said Mr Mandivheyi.
Director of Epidemiology and Disease Control Dr Portia Manangazira said the equipment came at a time when cases of water-borne diseases were on the increase and this would help in containing the spread of such diseases.
The NEO Centre will be the nerve centre during diseases outbreaks and provide regular and timely updates.
The centre will operate with 20 officials and works during disaster times.