|Fire razes OK warehouse|
|Wednesday, 02 May 2012 00:00|
Lovemore Meya Herald Reporter
Zimbabwe, Marketing Manager, Ms Chipo Mashingaidze, said the cause of the fire was still to be established.
However, a security guard identified as John, who was at the scene, suspected the fire could have been started by an electrical fault.
“The fire started around 12.30pm when I witnessed a cloud of dark smoke curling up through the rooftop,” he said.
“ I suspect the cause of the fire might be an electrical fault which went on to set alight some pallets dotted around the warehouse’s walls.”
The crowd, which had become rowdy, was dispersed from the company’s premises by management who feared the walls to the building were almost collapsing.
“This is very awkward, the trucks they have brought are too small to put out the fire and the distance at which they are stationed is far from the building. It is not supposed to be like that, actually they should have brought the ones with ladders so that they can reach out to the flames. Now what they are trying to achieve is a big challenge,” he said.
Harare provincial police spokesperson Inspector James Sabau said they were still to receive a full report on the cause of the fire.
Recently, Ok Zimbabwe branch in Kwekwe temporarily closed its branch after a fire caused extensive damage to the shop’s electrical system, with documents and stock worth thousands of dollars lost.