BUJUMBURA. — Burundi’s foreign minister on Thursday denied reports that mass graves containing the bodies of government opponents existed in and near the capital Bujumbura.
“It is a campaign of mudslinging against the authorities in Bujumbura,” Alain Aime Nyamitwe told journalists.
“Let us wait for the results of an investigating commission which has been ordered by the attorney-general,” he added.
Nyamitwe was reacting to a statement by Amnesty International last week that satellite images, video footage and witness accounts indicated the existence of mass graves containing dozens of bodies.
“These images suggest a deliberate effort by the authorities to cover up the extent of the killings by their security forces and to prevent the full truth from coming out,” said Muthoni Wanyeki, a director of the human rights group for east Africa.