OUGADOUGOU. — Burkina Faso has arrested four of seven members of its dissolved presidential guard who were wanted in connection with an attack two days ago on an armoury near the capital Ouagadougou, the army said on Sunday.
Burkina Faso is still reeling from an attack by gunmen on a hotel and restaurant on January 15 that was claimed by Islamist militants and during which 30 people were killed, most of them foreigners. The arrests came hours after the country’s armed forces published the names and images of the guards who were on the run in local media.
Another guard who had also fled died after a gun battle, the army’s statement said. The three men were captured when they tried to cross the border with Ghana, the army said, adding:
“One among them opened fire on our intervening forces, leading to a riposte. Gravely wounded, he succumbed to his injuries during his transfer to the hospital by helicopter.”
Authorities are continuing to search for the two guards who remain at large.
The authorities had already arrested 11 members of the disbanded elite guards in connection with Friday’s raid, during which army officials said the attackers seized Kalashnikovs and rocket launchers. — Reuters.