Buhari vows to end spate of mass killings

Muhammadu Buhari

Muhammadu Buhari

LAGOS. – Mass killings of innocent citizens, abductions and other criminal atrocities would soon become history in Nigeria, President Muhammadu Buhari (pictured right) has said. The president made the pledge in his Easter message to the West African country yesterday. He said his administration was determined to achieve peace and security across the nation by ending the avoidable conflicts and crises that hindered national progress.

The Nigerian leader added that already the nation’s security apparatus were being reformed and empowered to win the war against terrorism and other criminal activities across the country.

The president said the unfortunate incidences in recent years where the blood of men, women and children were wantonly and callously shed in frequent orgies of criminal, political, ethnic and religious violence had become embarrassing and unacceptable.

Meanwhile, the Nigerian government is to verify whether a female suicide bomber arrested in Cameroon on Friday, is one of the abducted Chibok schoolgirls, an official said yesterday

Presidential spokesperson Garba Shehu, who disclosed this in a statement made available to Xinhua, said the government will send some members of the Chibok community to neighboring Cameroon to verify.

Already the Minister of Women Affairs, Aisha Alhassan, and Nigerian high commissioner in Cameroon had swung into action and were receiving cooperation from the Cameroonian authorities, he added.

According to him, one of two girls is claiming to be among the girls stolen from Chibok on April 14, 2014, although doubts have creeped into the claim following new information from Cameroon that the two girls were aged about 10 years.

He added that one of the two was also believed to be heavily drugged and therefore not in full control of her senses.

Shehu said the Nigeria’s High Commissioner to Cameroon, Amb. Hadiza Mustapha, had confirmed that the arrested girls might be brought to the Cameroonian capital, Yaounde, by Monday, at which point the High Commission would seek permission to meet with them.

The presidential spokesperson added that a foundation had offered to cooperate with federal government in sponsoring two parents from Chibok, who had been selected to embark on the trip to Cameroon. – Xinhua.

Pin It