Branco failed DeMbare test

Paulo Jorge Silva

Paulo Jorge Silva

Eddie Chikamhi Sports Reporter
THE Dynamos technical team have decided Portuguese Carlos Alexandre Mendes Branco was not the type of player they want in their books to fix their problematic strike-force and have since ordered the attacking midfielder to pack his bags and go back home.

Branco failed to impress his compatriot, the Dynamos head coach, Paulo Jorge Silva after training with the club for a week and travelling to Malawi for pre-season friendly games.

Silva, who had recommended the player to the Glamour Boys, yesterday said the 22-year-old disappointed and they could not give him a deal.

“Carlos has already left. Unfortunately he did not give me what I had wanted from him. He is talented but then he is not the kind of player that I am looking for.

“He trained with us a few days and then we went to Malawi with him where he played only 11 minutes and then he expects to get a contract?

“No, I told him I don’t care you are from Portugal or that you have played in England, if you can’t give me what I want then you don’t belong here.

“With me it’s the same principle. If you don’t work hard especially at training then don’t expect to be in my team. I gave him a chance and he failed to prove himself. So he had to go back to Portugal,” said Silva.

DeMbare have continued with their quest to find a striker to boost their front-line.

Nigerian forward Duru Mercy is already on trial at the Glamour Boys and he seems to have charmed the coach after just a few days of training.

“He has been working very hard but he is also not the kind of striker I want at the moment. He is more like Brett Amidu. He is not a number nine, he plays behind the strikers but he is good and I tell you if he continues with the kind of effort he is putting at training he might stay.

“What I want though is someone who always thinks of shooting and scoring goals whenever he is in the 18-area or anywhere in that vicinity.

“I am looking for a proper number nine, the man who scores goals. I don’t care if he plays beautiful football or not, as long as he is that scoring machine. We are still looking forward to those players from Portugal joining us for trials.

“The management is working on their paperwork and hopefully by the weekend or by next Monday they should be here. I’m sure they are moving faster now because I have been told the window closes on March 26. So I need at least a week or so to look at the players,” said Silva.

Another Nigerian striker is expected in the country this week also to try his luck with the Harare giants. Dynamos last week unveiled a 26-member squad minus one of their key strikers from last season Takesure Chinyama who looks set to be released because of a nagging injury.

Yesterday Silva was full of praise for his charges.

“I am very surprised with my boys because they have improved a lot, in terms of punctuality and everything. I wanted to die the first days. I wanted them to play in a certain way, hold and pass, but it was difficult for many of them.

“I almost lost my voice but these days my mouth is almost always shut.

“The boys are adapting well to my philosophy, there is no need for me to scream at anyone anymore because they are doing well. I prayed every night for these boys and I can see a change,” he said.

Pin It
  • Soccer Fan

    My philosophy! Hope you won’t mive around with that big “Ecocash Book” like LVG @ Man U.

  • mukwerekwere

    This guy is an opportunist taking advantage of the Euro-struck naivety of the Dynamos executive. I hate Dynamos for the record but it is a mistake to pay this guy more than proven coaches like Pasuwa whom you hounded out. Shame on you Kenny Mubaiwa.