The number of people who were affected by flash floods which hit Beitbridge town on Friday night has risen from 583 to 777, chairperson of the local civil protection unit Mrs Kiliboni Ndou said yesterday.
She said these were from 76 houses near Dulibadzimu bus terminus, which houses 225 households.
Mrs Ndou said they were still mobilising food, blankets and clothes for the victims.
She said among those affected were 492 adults and 285 children.
“We have received an assortment of food items, clothes, textbooks, blankets and 660kg rice from the Minister of State for National Security Cde Kembo Mohadi, Beitbridge West constituency legislator Mrs Metrine Mudau, Lobels, churches, clearing companies and non-governmental organisations.
“We have also identified four areas where we would house them, should the rains persist as a stop-gap measure to avoid a repeat of last Friday.
“We have teams on stand-by waiting to evacuate them to safe places,” she said.
Mrs Ndou said the national civil protection unit head office would today dispatch three engineers to augment the efforts being made by the town council in addressing drainage issues.
She said tents have been pitched at Dulibadzimu Clinic as alternative shelter for the flood victims.
She added that they were also monitoring the situation across the district though no other areas had been affected besides the urban area.