Norton Town Council has been urged to acquire a fire tender to enhance its disaster preparedness. Norton Residents Development Trust secretary-general Mr Laston Tachiona said fires have damaged residents’ properties in the past. Norton has had no fire tender for years and relies on Harare, about 40 kilometres away, for such a service.
“Residents have been raising concern over the issue of a fire tender. It has now become common for us as residents not to ask for assistance from council in times of fire disasters because they don’t have the means to assist,” said Mr Tachiona.
Mr William Chimutanda of house number 962, Willow Crescent in Norton, had his children’s room destroyed by fire last Friday. The cause of the fire, which destroyed blankets, uniforms, clothes, exercise and text books, is still unknown.
“When fire broke out there was no one at the house,” said Mr Chimutanda. “But neighbours used buckets to put out the fire.” Norton town clerk Mr Kizito Muhomba said he could not comment as he was out of office. — HR.